There's no doubt that digital signage is the way of the future. Restaurants, hospitals and office buildings, among other places, are straying from the antiquated looks of static signage and shifting to the attractive, modern feel achieved through products of the digital age.
But is it enough to just have an attractive display? I say nay nay. What good is a beautiful piece of hardware if it isn't being used to its full potential? It will catch the eye for a moment, but its true value lies in its ability to deliver substantial content.
Follow these 5 simple guidelines in order to make the most of your sleek displays.
1. UPLOAD QUALITY CONTENT. Quality being the operative word here. An ice cream parlor can upload a photo of their tastiest sundae, but the display will not hold viewers' attention if that picture does not move or change. Quality content also includes relevancy. If you are a restaurant doing business on a scorching hot day, ice old lemonade and refreshing smoothies should be on rotation. Leave the warm, oven-baked desserts for another day. And if you happen to run out of lemons makes sure to remove the lemonade from the display. That's the beauty of digital signage - you can change it at a moment's notice, so make sure to stay current and relevant.
2. CREATE A CALL TO ACTION. First off, be fun. Engage your audience. Invite them to check out the company's Facebook page. Share reward opportunities with them and give them a chance to receive coupons if they sign up for your newsletter. Invite them to start a dialogue on social media. Talk to them through your displays and encourage them to take the next step in engaging with your business. It will keep viewers interested in the display messages and give you more time to communicate with them while they are present.
3. INTERACT. If you can incorporate touchscreen technology, go for it! This is especially advantageous for large buildings or shopping centers, where customers might want to search for a particular area or store. Having to interact with the display keeps customers on their toes and ensures the perfect opportunity to feature advertising and share relevant news on part of the screen.
4. MAKE IT PRETTY. And keep it clean. Clutter is no friend of ours. Digital displays are fresh and bright, so it's important to have a nice layout that enhances its features. Think of the display as a wonderful blank canvas with all the potential in the world to be a great masterpiece. The digital signage content must be designed in such a way that is pleasing to the eye and worthy of the canvas. The chosen layout has the ability to attract or deter viewers, so make sure your display turns out to be the masterpiece instead of the mess.
5. PLACEMENT. One of the many advantages of digital signage is its ability to capture attention. Bright, friendly colors, fluid movement and enticing photos are all things we love to see on digital displays, but what good is this amazing form of advertising and communication when placed in an inopportune location? Display placement should be strategic. Customers should automatically see the displays upon entering, and shouldn't have to struggle to read what they say. Displays should not be so far from view that guests do not bother engaging. It's important to take a good look at your space and choose a location that is most advantageous. Show those displays off!